Tag Archives: settlers

Yetwood School No. 2072

Yetwood School was established December 9, 1909 southwest of Lomond. Cecil Smith and Harry Bly hauled the lumber from Carmangay. Harry’s dad and Jim Bailey built the schoolhouse on SW 17-15-20 W4. Directions from Lomond – South 6 miles on Highway 845, turn west on Highway 529 for 4 miles; Champion – East 19 miles […]

Yale School No. 1749

By Ula (Ficht) Tindall and daughter, Marion (Tindall) Matlock: The school district Yale No. 1749 was organized and the school built in 1909 on two acres of land. One acre was donated by Mr. Al Kellogg and one by Mr. Alex McLaughlin, from the adjoining corners of their two homesteads. Established on January 10, 1908, […]

Willard School No. 2176

By Orpha (Tom) Parfett: In one room of the homestead house of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Willard, the Willard School began in 1910. The first teacher was Mr. Williams from Wales. He belonged to a group of Welsh singers who found there was not much call for this type of work, so found it necessary […]

Wilderman School No. 1561

Wilderman School was built in 1907 by Sam Brown. For a short time he had help from Mr. Hansen. Located on Isaac land section 4, it was a large white, square, wooden frame building, with windows on both east and west sides, an open porch leading into a cloak room and behind that a coal […]

Washington School No. 1431

Washington School District was established November 13, 1905. February 14, 1906, a Washington school committee met, with Malcolm McLeod as chairman, Neil McLeod treasurer and William Felbaum secretary. At this meeting a by-law was passed allowing the committee to borrow $1200 to erect and furnish a schoolhouse. A frame building 24 by 32 feet was […]

Travers School No. 3996

Established on December 7, 1920, Travers was never a consolidated school, though it did absorb the pupils from surrounding districts as those schools were closed. At one time Travers town was the main town on the C.P.R. railway line going northwest from Medicine Hat. It is believed to have been named after one of the […]

Thigh Hills School No. 1593

The school district was established as Thigh Hills School District on December 27, 1906. The shape of the two hills on the map of early surveys showed a thigh-shaped formation. It seems that it may have been called Thigh Hill by everyone but the government. Directions from Vulcan – East 5 miles on Highway 534, […]

Vulcan School No. 1902

Excerpts from Don Jantzie’s article in “Wheat Country I – A history of Vulcan and District” The school that began its time as Ferrodale School No. 1902 in 1908 changed its name to Vulcan School in 1917. The changing of the name of the school district from Ferrodale No. 1902 to Vulcan No. 1902 was […]

Union Jack School No. 1865

Union Jack School was organized on July 24, 1908. It was situated twelve miles north and three miles east of Vulcan on the hard top to Milo.  Directions from Vulcan – North 12 miles on Highway 23, turn east onto Highway 542 for 3 miles; Milo – West on Highway 542 for 13 miles. Latitude […]

Trego School No. 4050-site 2

The second school to have this name was located in the town of Mossleigh. SW quarter of 30-20-24-W4. Directions in Mossleigh (along Highway 24) – From Highway 24, turn north on Range Road 250 for ¼ mile, turn southwest onto Centre Street for about 1 block (just past baseball diamond). Latitude 50.72137, Longitude -113.32697. (More […]