Tag Archives: rural school

Where are the old schools now?

Vulcan County had within its limits, 123 school districts. Of those districts, six never had a schoolhouse. For most, it was because they were included in Consolidated School Districts. For one, Pasture Land, it was formed only after the County began, for taxation purposes. The histories for the others, from A to Y, have now […]

Union Jack School No. 1865

Union Jack School was organized on July 24, 1908. It was situated twelve miles north and three miles east of Vulcan on the hard top to Milo.  Directions from Vulcan – North 12 miles on Highway 23, turn east onto Highway 542 for 3 miles; Milo – West on Highway 542 for 13 miles. Latitude […]

Ted Barris speaks at RCAF Vulcan

Ted Barris is an accomplished author and journalist often specializing in the military history of Canada.  He was invited to speak by the Bomber Command Museum of Canada at their August 2010 “Salute to the Flight Instructors” weekend event held at the RCAF Vulcan Aerodome and at their location in Nanton, Alberta.  This video features […]

Pasture Land School No. 5019

This is the youngest school district in Vulcan County. It was established on July 31, 1953. It encompassed the land east of Corbie Hill School District, south of Rocky Buttes School District and north of Sunny Plains School District. Land included in the district was the West halves of sections 3 and 10, sections 4, […]

Mica School No. 2728

Mica School was established on April 25, 1912. It was located on the NW quarter of 24-16-18-W4. Directions from Lomond – North 5 miles on Highway 845, turn east on Highway 539 for 12 miles, turn south on Range Road 181 for 4 miles, turn east on Township Road 164 for ½ mile. Latitude 50.36823, […]

McIntyre School No. 3271

Henry Hansen tells about McIntyre School in “Wheat Country – a history of Vulcan and District.” The McIntyre School was built on the southwest corner of Section 26-17-25-W4 on land owned by Peter McIntyre. The first teacher was May Brimms, who later became Mrs. Jim Ferguson. Other teachers included Mrs. Coombs, Mrs. Richardson and Mr. […]

Marshall School No. 1698

Marshall School District was established on September 19, 1907, located on the SW quarter of 22-16-22-W4. Directions from Vulcan – East 13 miles on Highway 534, turn South on Range Road 223 for 2½ miles; from Champion – East 9 miles on Highway 529, turn North on Range Road 223 for 7½ miles. Latitude 50.36086, […]

Deep Water School No. 3037

Deep Water School District was established on September 10, 1913. The area was located on the SE quarter of 16-16-19-W4. Directions from Lomond – East 3 3/4 miles on Township Road 162 (no school sign). Latitude 50.33926, Longitude -112.55196 The area was established as a district, but a school building was never made. Pupils were […]

Cottonwood Grove School No. 1412

Cottonwood Grove School, established on October 11, 1905, was often referred to as Loma School because the Loma post office was just across the road. Emil and Susanah Steiner came from Switzerland, arriving here in 1904. They waited for settlers with enough children to start a school. They donated a corner of land on the […]

Arrowwood School No. 1733

Arrowwood School was established on December 14, 1907.  It was located on the NE quarter of 15-19-25-W4. Directions today are: From Mossleigh – West 2 miles on Hwy 24, turn south on Rge Rd 252 for 7 miles. Latitude 50.61600, Longitude -113.37514 Although it was originally named Arrowwood School, the school name was changed to […]