Tag Archives: pioneers

Derry School No. 3114

Go north from Vulcan for 7 miles on Highway 23, then turn west on Township Road 182 for 3 1/2 miles. (Latitude 50.51385, Longitude -113.33457) to reach the site of Derry School. It was established on March 25, 1914. On May 28, 1914 approval was given for a site on the southeast corner of the […]

Corbie Hill School No. 2287

Corbie Hill School was named was named by Mrs. R. (Dick) Shore. It was named after Crow Hill in Scotland, Mrs. Shore’s former home. The school was situated on a hill. The name Corbie is Scottish for the word crow. It was established on September 26, 1910 and located on the NW quarter of 28-18-21-W4. […]

Armada School No. 2020

Armada School, named on February 22, 1927, was originally established as Sunny Plains School No. 2020 on August 9, 1909. It was on SE 12-17-21-W4. Directions today are: From Lomond, go east on highway 531, turn north on range road 210 and continue for 4¼ miles. When the name was changed, the school district was […]

Antrim School No. 3707

Antrim School, established on August 10, 1918, was named after County Antrim, Ireland where the ancestors of Mrs. Frank Arrison and her brother, Tom Kelly, came from. It was located on the SE quarter of 17-20-24-W4. Directions today are: From Mossleigh – East on Hwy 24 for 1 1/2 miles, follow curve south for 1 1/2 miles. […]

Berrywater School No. 1968

Berrywater School was located on the SE quarter of 15-18-23-W4. It was established on April 24, 1909. Directions today are: From Vulcan, go north 7 miles, turn east on Township Road 182 and continue for just over 7½ miles. Mary Haga tells the history of Berrywater School in the book, “Wheat Country – a history […]

Champion Celebrates

Anniversary Celebrations Through the Years Champion residents are gearing up for the Village’s centennial celebration, to be held in the summer of 2011. Anniversary celebrations are nothing new for Champion. Throughout the years, residents have gathered to reminisce, remember, and commemorate. Not even the Great Depression could stop Champion from having its July 1st celebration. […]

Ryckman School No. 1502

Ryckman School was located on the SE quarter of 3-13-24-W4. Directions are: From Carmangay, go south 3 miles on Highway 23, turn west on Township Road 132 for 5 miles, south on Range Road 244 for 1 mile. The school district was established on May 25, 1906. Mrs. Gilbert McGinnis wrote about Ryckman School in […]

Ridgeway School No. 1966

Ridgeway School was located on the NW quarter of 33-13-22-W4. It was the last school to be established in the Carmangay East district, April 10, 1909. Directions from Carmangay – From Carman St, turn North on Rge Rd 234 and follow curve to go east on Twp Rd 140 (Stonehouse Rd) for 6 miles. This […]

Plainfield School No. 1550

Established on September 25, 1906, Plainfield School was located on the NE quarter of 22-14-22-W4. Directions from Carmangay, turn north on range road 234 and follow the curve to go east on Stonehouse Road for 8 miles, north on Range Road 222 for 4 miles. The Carmangay history book gives a good account of the […]

Bowville School No. 1528

Established on August 7, 1906, Bowville School was located on the SE quarter of 13-13-21-W4. Directions today are: From Carmangay, go south 3 miles on highway 23, then turn east on township road 132 and drive for almost 11 miles. Bowville School was named after the Bow River and the little village nearby that had […]