Tag Archives: milo

Willard School No. 2176

By Orpha (Tom) Parfett: In one room of the homestead house of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Willard, the Willard School began in 1910. The first teacher was Mr. Williams from Wales. He belonged to a group of Welsh singers who found there was not much call for this type of work, so found it necessary […]

Sunny Lake School No. 4123

Doris Orchard tells of the history of Sunny Lake School in “Wheat Country – a history of Vulcan and District”: Sunny Lake School was started around 1922. The first school room was a room in a house on the Corbitt farm, later owned by the Smith family. The first teacher was a Miss Jessie Graham, […]

Rocky Buttes School No. 4020

Surrounding a small plot of ground on the south side of the main road about six miles east of Milo are a few caraganas and maple trees, which mark the boundaries of the old Rocky Butte school yard. They were planted by the pupils on the first Arbour Day after the school’s opening in 1922, […]

Robertson School No. 4350

On August 4, 1928, a meeting was called to organize a new school district which would accommodate the children of the families in this outlying region. At this meeting were the Ted Roseens, Fred Bertschys, Otto Pearson and Ben Haggs. The name “Robertson” was chosen for the school and originated by using portions of the […]

Queenstown School No. 1798 Site 2

The town of Queenstown was one of those towns that sprang up beside the new railroad in 1926. The country school that served the district so well was moved to the townsite. Another room was built on to the old school. Grades 1-6 were taught in the Junior Room and grades 7, 8, and 9, […]

Queenstown School No. 1798 Site 1

Queenstown School was established on April 13, 1908 on the SE quarter of 24-19-22-W4. Directions from Milo – West 1 mile on Highway 542, turn north on Range Road 220 for 3½ miles. Latitude 50.62324, Longitude -112.91345 The name, Queenstown, came from Captain Dawson, an Irish surveyor, who organized a Ranching Colonization Company in 1887, […]

Pioneer School No. 1828

Pioneer School District came into existence on June 12, 1908 and on June 27, 1908, received the authorization of an $1800 debenture to purchase land and build and equip the school. The loan was to be repaid in ten equal, annual payments, interest 8%. First trustees of the School Board entrusted with the official business […]

Pasture Land School No. 5019

This is the youngest school district in Vulcan County. It was established on July 31, 1953. It encompassed the land east of Corbie Hill School District, south of Rocky Buttes School District and north of Sunny Plains School District. Land included in the district was the West halves of sections 3 and 10, sections 4, […]

Milo School No. 4251

When Milo was moved in 1924 to its new location, the need for a school became urgent. Classes were held in the United Church basement and also in a building later used as the school barn. Milo School District was established on May 19, 1926. A two-room school was built on SW 5-19-21-W4, with the […]

Liberty School No. 1940

Before there was a school in the Majorville area, a local lady, Mrs. Stewart, was a teacher. She started holding classes in her home with several school-aged children attending. Liberty School District No. 1940 was established on February 25, 1909.  The school was located on the SW quarter of 29-19-20-W4. Directions from Milo – East […]