Tag Archives: champion

“Baseball in Champion” with Kolten Nelson

Another installment of the Vulcan County History Digital Story Series features Kolten Nelson narrating the history of baseball in Champion and its lasting influence on the community. Enjoy and Happy 100 Champion! Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on […]

Yale School No. 1749

By Ula (Ficht) Tindall and daughter, Marion (Tindall) Matlock: The school district Yale No. 1749 was organized and the school built in 1909 on two acres of land. One acre was donated by Mr. Al Kellogg and one by Mr. Alex McLaughlin, from the adjoining corners of their two homesteads. Established on January 10, 1908, […]

Washington School No. 1431

Washington School District was established November 13, 1905. February 14, 1906, a Washington school committee met, with Malcolm McLeod as chairman, Neil McLeod treasurer and William Felbaum secretary. At this meeting a by-law was passed allowing the committee to borrow $1200 to erect and furnish a schoolhouse. A frame building 24 by 32 feet was […]

Thigh Hills School No. 1593

The school district was established as Thigh Hills School District on December 27, 1906. The shape of the two hills on the map of early surveys showed a thigh-shaped formation. It seems that it may have been called Thigh Hill by everyone but the government. Directions from Vulcan – East 5 miles on Highway 534, […]

Coal Mining in Champion- with Sev Pasolli

This video is a Digital Story produced by Bev Knutson Shaw.   It features photos and exerpts from Sev Pasolli’s book on the history of coal mining in the Champion area titled “Coal: Champion’s Black Gold” and is narrated by Sev Pasolli himself. Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit […]

Sherwood School No. 1795

Sherwood School District was established April 13, 1908. The school was located at NE 10-15-24-W4. Directions from Champion –  – West 2 miles on Highway 529. Latitude 50.25168, Longitude -113.21112 The school district included Sections 32, 33, 34 and 35, and the north half of Section 26 in Township 14, Range 24; and the Sections 1, […]

Sanderson School No. 2210

In the year 1910, the homesteaders in the district about twelve miles east of Champion, began to realize the great need for a school. It was quite a battle to get the school built. The biggest stumbling block was a chap named Dougherty, who, although married, had no children. However, Will Sanderson, became a “roaring” […]

Marshall School No. 1698

Marshall School District was established on September 19, 1907, located on the SW quarter of 22-16-22-W4. Directions from Vulcan – East 13 miles on Highway 534, turn South on Range Road 223 for 2½ miles; from Champion – East 9 miles on Highway 529, turn North on Range Road 223 for 7½ miles. Latitude 50.36086, […]

Long Coulee School No. 1531

On August 7, 1906, Long Coulee School District No. 1531 was established. The name of the school was a descriptive of the lone prairie. It was located on the SE quarter of 1-16-24-W4. Directions from Vulcan – South 6 miles on Highway 23, turn east onto Township Road 160 (Coalmine Road) for 1¾ miles; Champion […]

Kirkcaldy School No. 4221

Established on July 9, 1925, Kirkcaldy School opened in what had previously been the Kirkcaldy Baptist Church. It was located on the NE quarter of 9-16-24-W4, in the hamlet of Kirkcaldy. Directions from Vulcan – South 4 miles on Highway 23, turn west onto Township Road 162 for 1/4 mile, turn south onto Railway Avenue […]