Tag Archives: carmangay

Washington School No. 1431

Washington School District was established November 13, 1905. February 14, 1906, a Washington school committee met, with Malcolm McLeod as chairman, Neil McLeod treasurer and William Felbaum secretary. At this meeting a by-law was passed allowing the committee to borrow $1200 to erect and furnish a schoolhouse. A frame building 24 by 32 feet was […]

Carmangay Centennial Parade

This video footage was taken during the Carmangay 100th Anniversary weekend on July 31, 2010. Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post

Carmangay’s 100th Anniversary: An interview with Bob Shearer Sr. Part 1

This video footage was taken during the Carmangay 100th Anniversary weekend at the Community Center. For more information on the Blackspring Ridge School, click here: Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post

Bow Valley School No. 1409

Section 28 of the School Ordinance of 1884 provided the Northwest Territorial Council with the authority to establish school districts. By 1905, when the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan were formed, there were 1409 school districts operating. The last school the Council set up was the Bow Valley School District No. 1409. The school name […]

Ryckman School No. 1502

Ryckman School was located on the SE quarter of 3-13-24-W4. Directions are: From Carmangay, go south 3 miles on Highway 23, turn west on Township Road 132 for 5 miles, south on Range Road 244 for 1 mile. The school district was established on May 25, 1906. Mrs. Gilbert McGinnis wrote about Ryckman School in […]

Ridgeway School No. 1966

Ridgeway School was located on the NW quarter of 33-13-22-W4. It was the last school to be established in the Carmangay East district, April 10, 1909. Directions from Carmangay – From Carman St, turn North on Rge Rd 234 and follow curve to go east on Twp Rd 140 (Stonehouse Rd) for 6 miles. This […]

Plainfield School No. 1550

Established on September 25, 1906, Plainfield School was located on the NE quarter of 22-14-22-W4. Directions from Carmangay, turn north on range road 234 and follow the curve to go east on Stonehouse Road for 8 miles, north on Range Road 222 for 4 miles. The Carmangay history book gives a good account of the […]

Carmangay School No. 2087

The marker for the original Carmangay School can be found in the town of Carmangay. On Carman Street, turn south onto Prairie Avenue for half a block. (The sign is in the bushes.) The school district was established on December 24, 1907. Old-timers who attended the first school recall that it’s now part of the […]

Burwash School No. 1932

Burwash School was built in 1910 on the SE quarter of 29-13-24-W4. It was established on January 25, 1909. Directions today are: From Carmangay, go one mile south on Highway 23. Then turn west on Township Road 134 for 5 miles. The school was named after William Burwash, one of the first settlers of the […]

Bowville School No. 1528

Established on August 7, 1906, Bowville School was located on the SE quarter of 13-13-21-W4. Directions today are: From Carmangay, go south 3 miles on highway 23, then turn east on township road 132 and drive for almost 11 miles. Bowville School was named after the Bow River and the little village nearby that had […]