Tag Archives: brant

Talking across barb-wire

The Vulcan and District history book “Wheat Country,” published in 1973, gives this good description of a truly western innovation. The telephone played an important part in the development of the hamlet of Brant and the surrounding district. The Barb Wire telephone was the first form of communication. A part of a story from the […]

Wilderman School No. 1561

Wilderman School was built in 1907 by Sam Brown. For a short time he had help from Mr. Hansen. Located on Isaac land section 4, it was a large white, square, wooden frame building, with windows on both east and west sides, an open porch leading into a cloak room and behind that a coal […]

Herronton School No. 4855

Herronton School was established on June 23, 1939.  It was located on the NE quarter of 20-19-25-W4 in the hamlet of Herronton, which was the name given to the Post Office in 1910 situated in the residence of O. F. Malmberg. This was named after John Herron, pioneer oil man and former M.L.A. Directions from […]

Emerson School No. 1283 – Emerson School No. 1201

Emerson School was established on May 6, 1905. It was located on the SE quarter of 18-18-26-W4. Directions to the school marker are: from Vulcan – West 10 miles on Highway 534, turn North on Highway 804 for 8 miles, turn West on Township Road 182 into Brant for 2 miles Latitude 50.51389 Longitude -113.55274 […]