Category Archives: Rural Schools

Rural school houses of days gone by.

Click headline to read entire article.

Thigh Hills School No. 1593

The school district was established as Thigh Hills School District on December 27, 1906. The shape of the two hills on the map of early surveys showed a thigh-shaped formation. It seems that it may have been called Thigh Hill by everyone but the government. Directions from Vulcan – East 5 miles on Highway 534, […]

Vulcan School No. 1902

Excerpts from Don Jantzie’s article in “Wheat Country I – A history of Vulcan and District” The school that began its time as Ferrodale School No. 1902 in 1908 changed its name to Vulcan School in 1917. The changing of the name of the school district from Ferrodale No. 1902 to Vulcan No. 1902 was […]

Union Jack School No. 1865

Union Jack School was organized on July 24, 1908. It was situated twelve miles north and three miles east of Vulcan on the hard top to Milo.  Directions from Vulcan – North 12 miles on Highway 23, turn east onto Highway 542 for 3 miles; Milo – West on Highway 542 for 13 miles. Latitude […]

Trego School No. 4050-site 2

The second school to have this name was located in the town of Mossleigh. SW quarter of 30-20-24-W4. Directions in Mossleigh (along Highway 24) – From Highway 24, turn north on Range Road 250 for ¼ mile, turn southwest onto Centre Street for about 1 block (just past baseball diamond). Latitude 50.72137, Longitude -113.32697. (More […]

Trego School No. 4050-site 1

Trego School District No. 4050, established on August 2, 192. The school was located on the SE quarter of 5-21-24-W4. Directions from Arrowwood – South on Highway 24 for 1½ miles, follow curve and head West 6 miles on Highway 547, turn North on Range Road 244 (Western Feedlot Rd) for 2 miles. Latitude 50.7472, […]

Sweet Valley School No. 2369

Sweet Valley, in 1909, had a post office and store, operated by George Shirley. It was located 4 miles north of Travers. When applying to the Dominion Government to authorize a post office, the name Sweet Valley was given by the Post Office Department. All the other suggestions that had been sent in had already […]

Swastika School No. 4267 Wayside School No. 4267

Margaret House wrote this article in “Furrows of Time, a history of Arrowwood and Shouldice, Mossleigh and Farrow:” In the early years, it was difficult for people to get their children to school unless they could move to nearby towns. There was a definite need for a school southeast of Arrowwood, as that area was […]

Sunset Valley School No. 3236

Marion (Beacome) Winters wrote in “Wheat Country – a history of Vulcan and District”: Times being more prosperous in 1915 than in earlier years, the board of trustees, consisting of A. H. Tharle, A. D. Mitchell, H. W. Ernst and S. Washburn as secretary-treasurer contracted the construction of the school for approximately $1500 on the […]

Sunny Plains School No. 2020

Sunny Plains School Sunny Plains School was one of the earlier schools in the Lomond area. It was established on August 8, 1909. The school was on the NE quarter of 13-17-21-W4. Directions from Lomond – North 5 miles on Highway 845, turn West on Township Road 172 for 5 miles, turn north on Range […]

Sunny Lake School No. 4123

Doris Orchard tells of the history of Sunny Lake School in “Wheat Country – a history of Vulcan and District”: Sunny Lake School was started around 1922. The first school room was a room in a house on the Corbitt farm, later owned by the Smith family. The first teacher was a Miss Jessie Graham, […]