Category Archives: Lomond Area

History of Lomond and area.

Click headline to read entire article.

Sweet Valley School No. 2369

Sweet Valley, in 1909, had a post office and store, operated by George Shirley. It was located 4 miles north of Travers. When applying to the Dominion Government to authorize a post office, the name Sweet Valley was given by the Post Office Department. All the other suggestions that had been sent in had already […]

Sunny Plains School No. 2020

Sunny Plains School Sunny Plains School was one of the earlier schools in the Lomond area. It was established on August 8, 1909. The school was on the NE quarter of 13-17-21-W4. Directions from Lomond – North 5 miles on Highway 845, turn West on Township Road 172 for 5 miles, turn north on Range […]

Snake Valley School No. 3812

Snake Valley school was established April 24, 1919. Directions from Lomond – South 2 miles on Highway 845, turn west on Township Road 160 for 5½ miles, sign is near power pole in field. Latitude 50.30975, Longitude -112.76524 The school district encompassed Sections 5, 6, 7 and 8 in Township 16 Range 20; Sections 29, […]

Rolling Prairie School No. 2422

The first teacher at Rolling Prairie School was Miss Vera Ainley, who later became Mrs. Dave Munro. Elvin Benson, a local farmer, had taken the lead in organizing a Local Improvement District, becoming one of its first councillors. Following surveying of the area, roads were built, using horses and scrapers to cut down hills and […]

Rosemead School No. 3688

Rosemead School was established on June 24, 1918. It was located at SW 30-14-20-W4. Directions from Lomond – South 6 miles on Hwy 845, turn west on Hwy 529 for 4 miles, turn south on Rge Rd 205 (Murray Rd) for 4 miles, sign is located inside the Travers Recreation Area; Champion – East 19 […]

Piercing allegations sunk Bow City’s chief booster

Part 16 in a series on the history of Bow City. 1916 was a bad year for Herbert Chandler Pierce. As the year drew to a close the village that Pierce had once promoted so vigorously now appeared on the verge of extinction. As the residents of Bow City dispersed like tumbling kochia weed, thoughts […]

Prairie Queen School No. 4029

Prairie Queen was established April 21, 1921. This school was moved twice to be more centrally located between the pupils. It was located on the SE quarter of 25-15-19-W4. Directions from Lomond – South 4 miles on Highway 845, turn east on Township Road 154 for 7 miles, turn north on Range Road 190 for […]

Plateau School No. 2692

This school received its name because it was situated on a small plateau on the George Armstrong farm. It was established on March 26, 1912. It was located on the NW quarter of 23-16-21-W4. Directions from Lomond – East 7 miles on Hwy 531, turn North on Rge Rd 212 for 3/4 mile. Latitude 50.36690, […]

Ocean Wave School No. 2708

Ocean Wave School was only open from 1912 to 1916. It was established on April 10, 1912. It was located on the NE quarter of 3-16-20-W4. Directions from Lomond – South 2 miles on Highway 845, turn west on Township Road 160 for 1 mile. Latitude 50.31026, Longitude -112.66229 Nothing has been found about how […]

Midway School No. 2271

Midway School, located on the NE quarter of 34-16-19-W4, was established on September 10, 1910. Directions from Lomond – East 3 miles on Township Road 163, turn North on Range Road 194 for 3 miles, turn east on Township Road 170 for just over 1 1/2 miles. Latitude 50.39733, Longitude -112.53338 On October 28, 1910, […]