Category Archives: Carmangay Area

Click headline to read entire article.

Ryckman School No. 1502

Ryckman School was located on the SE quarter of 3-13-24-W4. Directions are: From Carmangay, go south 3 miles on Highway 23, turn west on Township Road 132 for 5 miles, south on Range Road 244 for 1 mile. The school district was established on May 25, 1906. Mrs. Gilbert McGinnis wrote about Ryckman School in […]

Ridgeway School No. 1966

Ridgeway School was located on the NW quarter of 33-13-22-W4. It was the last school to be established in the Carmangay East district, April 10, 1909. Directions from Carmangay – From Carman St, turn North on Rge Rd 234 and follow curve to go east on Twp Rd 140 (Stonehouse Rd) for 6 miles. This […]

Plainfield School No. 1550

Established on September 25, 1906, Plainfield School was located on the NE quarter of 22-14-22-W4. Directions from Carmangay, turn north on range road 234 and follow the curve to go east on Stonehouse Road for 8 miles, north on Range Road 222 for 4 miles. The Carmangay history book gives a good account of the […]

Carmangay School No. 2087

The marker for the original Carmangay School can be found in the town of Carmangay. On Carman Street, turn south onto Prairie Avenue for half a block. (The sign is in the bushes.) The school district was established on December 24, 1907. Old-timers who attended the first school recall that it’s now part of the […]

Burwash School No. 1932

Burwash School was built in 1910 on the SE quarter of 29-13-24-W4. It was established on January 25, 1909. Directions today are: From Carmangay, go one mile south on Highway 23. Then turn west on Township Road 134 for 5 miles. The school was named after William Burwash, one of the first settlers of the […]

Bowville School No. 1528

Established on August 7, 1906, Bowville School was located on the SE quarter of 13-13-21-W4. Directions today are: From Carmangay, go south 3 miles on highway 23, then turn east on township road 132 and drive for almost 11 miles. Bowville School was named after the Bow River and the little village nearby that had […]

Black Spring Ridge No. 1404

Black Spring Ridge School was located at NE 9-13-22-W4. It was three miles south of Carmangay and seven miles east. The site for the school was donated by Jacob Bakkila from a corner of his homestead. It was about an acre and a half of land. The school was built with volunteer labor. The geographical […]

Black Spring Valley No. 1455

Black Spring Valley School was located at NE 36-13-22-W4. It was fourteen miles east of Carmangay on Stonehouse Road. An article by Rena Burns tells about the school. It was built by Nikolia Martin Paulson in 1907, on land purchased from Leon Burns. The building material was hauled from Lethbridge, Alberta. Serving on the first […]

‘Carmangay is turning 100’ Facebook Group

The year 2010 marks Carmangay’s 100th year as a community.  This summer, from July 30th to August 1st will be a celebtration and a ‘birthday party’ for Carmangay.  All current and past residents are encouraged to take part in the event.  As a precursor, a Facebook group has been set up with over 100 current […]