Category Archives: Brant Area

Click headline to read entire article.

Municipal Heritage Project Open House

Open publication – Free publishing – More heritage Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post

Let’s Keep in Touch

Area pioneers had left their family, friends and everything familiar behind. The loneliness they suffered in their new home was heightened by the lack of knowing what was happening where they had come from. A day looked forward to with anticipation was Mail Day at their nearest post office. Most often the post office was […]

ACAD students use Vulcan County History content for New Media projects

Story Source: http://vulcancountyhistory.com/2010/11/yale-school-no-1749/ Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post

Talking across barb-wire

The Vulcan and District history book “Wheat Country,” published in 1973, gives this good description of a truly western innovation. The telephone played an important part in the development of the hamlet of Brant and the surrounding district. The Barb Wire telephone was the first form of communication. A part of a story from the […]

‘School Bells and Children’s Yells’ – A new book on Vulcan County’s Rural Schools

Open publication – Free publishing – More school Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post

Where are the old schools now?

Vulcan County had within its limits, 123 school districts. Of those districts, six never had a schoolhouse. For most, it was because they were included in Consolidated School Districts. For one, Pasture Land, it was formed only after the County began, for taxation purposes. The histories for the others, from A to Y, have now […]

Wilderman School No. 1561

Wilderman School was built in 1907 by Sam Brown. For a short time he had help from Mr. Hansen. Located on Isaac land section 4, it was a large white, square, wooden frame building, with windows on both east and west sides, an open porch leading into a cloak room and behind that a coal […]

Herronton School No. 4855

Herronton School was established on June 23, 1939.  It was located on the NE quarter of 20-19-25-W4 in the hamlet of Herronton, which was the name given to the Post Office in 1910 situated in the residence of O. F. Malmberg. This was named after John Herron, pioneer oil man and former M.L.A. Directions from […]

Emerson School No. 1283 – Emerson School No. 1201

Emerson School was established on May 6, 1905. It was located on the SE quarter of 18-18-26-W4. Directions to the school marker are: from Vulcan – West 10 miles on Highway 534, turn North on Highway 804 for 8 miles, turn West on Township Road 182 into Brant for 2 miles Latitude 50.51389 Longitude -113.55274 […]

Brant School No. 1201/Brant School No. 1283

Brant School was established on February 6, 1905. It was named after the Brant geese, of which there were many. It was located on the NE quarter of 27-18-26-W4, in the town of Old Brant. Directions today are: From Vulcan – West 10 miles on Highway 534, turn North on Highway 804 for 10 miles, […]