Category Archives: Arrowwood Area

History of Arrowwood and the surrounding area

Click headline to read entire article.

Dunree School No. 4266

Margaret House wrote about the history of Dunree School: Dunree School District No. 4266 came into being Oct. 21, 1926. That same year on Nov. 6, Peter Verigin was appointed secretary-treasurer. It was arranged by the Provincial Dept. of Education with Mr. Verigin, who was representing the people at the Doukhobor Colony near Shouldice, that […]

Northeast School Districts, never schools

Buffalo Hill School District No. 3730 land location 20-23-W4 North Buffalo Hill School School District No. 3731 land location 20-24-W4 Woodarrow School District No. 3740 land location 20-22-W4 West Arrowwood School District No. 3732 land location 20-24-W4 No schools were ever built in these districts. (Buffalo School was sometimes referred to as Buffalo Hill School […]

Buffalo School No. 1700

Buffalo School was situated in the Buffalo Hills, so was often referred to as the Buffalo Hills School. It was established on October 9, 1907. It was located on the NE quarter of 24-19-24-W4. Directions are from Vulcan, go North 12 miles on Highway 23, continue North at Highway 23/24/542 junction (Corner Store) onto Highway […]

Arrowwood Consolidated School No. 59

Arrowwood Consolidated School was established on January 11, 1919. It was located in the town of Arrowwood, at the present school site.  Latitude 50.73896, Longitude -113.14564 The large brick building of the Arrowwood Consolidated School was built in 1918-19 on the northeast corner of the townsite, at a cost of $20,000. It was the pride […]

Antrim School No. 3707

Antrim School, established on August 10, 1918, was named after County Antrim, Ireland where the ancestors of Mrs. Frank Arrison and her brother, Tom Kelly, came from. It was located on the SE quarter of 17-20-24-W4. Directions today are: From Mossleigh – East on Hwy 24 for 1 1/2 miles, follow curve south for 1 1/2 miles. […]