Author Archives: Vulcan and District Historical Society

Let’s Keep in Touch

Area pioneers had left their family, friends and everything familiar behind. The loneliness they suffered in their new home was heightened by the lack of knowing what was happening where they had come from. A day looked forward to with anticipation was Mail Day at their nearest post office. Most often the post office was […]

Talking across barb-wire

The Vulcan and District history book “Wheat Country,” published in 1973, gives this good description of a truly western innovation. The telephone played an important part in the development of the hamlet of Brant and the surrounding district. The Barb Wire telephone was the first form of communication. A part of a story from the […]

Where are the old schools now?

Vulcan County had within its limits, 123 school districts. Of those districts, six never had a schoolhouse. For most, it was because they were included in Consolidated School Districts. For one, Pasture Land, it was formed only after the County began, for taxation purposes. The histories for the others, from A to Y, have now […]

Yetwood School No. 2072

Yetwood School was established December 9, 1909 southwest of Lomond. Cecil Smith and Harry Bly hauled the lumber from Carmangay. Harry’s dad and Jim Bailey built the schoolhouse on SW 17-15-20 W4. Directions from Lomond – South 6 miles on Highway 845, turn west on Highway 529 for 4 miles; Champion – East 19 miles […]

Yale School No. 1749

By Ula (Ficht) Tindall and daughter, Marion (Tindall) Matlock: The school district Yale No. 1749 was organized and the school built in 1909 on two acres of land. One acre was donated by Mr. Al Kellogg and one by Mr. Alex McLaughlin, from the adjoining corners of their two homesteads. Established on January 10, 1908, […]

Willard School No. 2176

By Orpha (Tom) Parfett: In one room of the homestead house of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Willard, the Willard School began in 1910. The first teacher was Mr. Williams from Wales. He belonged to a group of Welsh singers who found there was not much call for this type of work, so found it necessary […]

Wilderman School No. 1561

Wilderman School was built in 1907 by Sam Brown. For a short time he had help from Mr. Hansen. Located on Isaac land section 4, it was a large white, square, wooden frame building, with windows on both east and west sides, an open porch leading into a cloak room and behind that a coal […]

Washington School No. 1431

Washington School District was established November 13, 1905. February 14, 1906, a Washington school committee met, with Malcolm McLeod as chairman, Neil McLeod treasurer and William Felbaum secretary. At this meeting a by-law was passed allowing the committee to borrow $1200 to erect and furnish a schoolhouse. A frame building 24 by 32 feet was […]

Travers School No. 3996

Established on December 7, 1920, Travers was never a consolidated school, though it did absorb the pupils from surrounding districts as those schools were closed. At one time Travers town was the main town on the C.P.R. railway line going northwest from Medicine Hat. It is believed to have been named after one of the […]

Thigh Hills School No. 1593

The school district was established as Thigh Hills School District on December 27, 1906. The shape of the two hills on the map of early surveys showed a thigh-shaped formation. It seems that it may have been called Thigh Hill by everyone but the government. Directions from Vulcan – East 5 miles on Highway 534, […]