Monthly Archives: December 2010

From Cleverville to Champion- by Kelly Pasolli

In 1905, Martin Clever, one of a stream of settlers from the U.S., Eastern Canada and Britain, homesteaded on the section of land where Champion is now located. Mr. Clever decided that his land would be a good location for a new country store that could serve the new settlers in the area, so he […]

The Coalmine Road

Between the years 1907 and 1965, there were 58 registered and numbered coal mines located in the Champion Coal Fields, an area which included the banks of Wolf Coulee (near Carmangay). Twenty-four of those mines were located along what is now known as the Coalmine Road (Township Road 160). Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post […]

The History of Vulcan County

Inception: Homesteaders began to settle the area of what is now Vulcan County in the early part of the 20th century. Large numbers of farmers from Eastern Canada, immigrants from Britain and Western Europe, and many from the Central United States came to seek land and set up homesteads in the west. The earliest record […]