Yetwood School was established December 9, 1909 southwest of Lomond. Cecil Smith and Harry Bly hauled the lumber from Carmangay. Harry’s dad and Jim Bailey built the schoolhouse on SW 17-15-20 W4. Directions from Lomond – South 6 miles on Highway 845, turn west on Highway 529 for 4 miles; Champion – East 19 miles on Highway 529 (at Range Road 205 intersection). Latitude 50.25208, Longitude -112.73067
Herb Gray and Jim Bailey were two of the first board members. There was a third person, too. It may have been one of the Creighton boys.
The first teacher was James Walsh.
Mrs. Annie Armstrong opened the Yetwood Post Office in 1910. That fall, the school was filled. Soon services were being held every Sunday in the school. (She also ran a well-equipped country store.) Mrs. Bob Steeves supplemented the family income by teaching at the Yetwood School. She and her husband had taken over the Yetwood store and post office in 1912.
Some other teachers from Yetwood School District:
|Nerta Steele||Jan 1930 to June 1930||1 to 9|
|Margaret Kimmitt||July 30 – June 1933||1 to 10|
|Selam E.Wood||Sept. 1933 – Oct. 1935||1 to 11|
|Dorais J. McWilliams||Oct. 1935 – June 1936||1 to 9|
|Harry Cummins||Sept. 1936 -June 1938||1 to 11|
|Suseria McLaine||Aug. 1938 – June 1940||1 to 9|
|Helen MacKillican||Sept. 1940 -June 1941||1 to 9|
|Elsie Florence Thompson||Dec. 1941 – June 1942||1 to 9|
|Leo Barnard||Sept. 1942 -Feb. 1943||1 to 8|
The pupils from the Yetwood School District then attended the Rosemead, Travers and Lauren School Districts.
Some pupils from the Yetwood School District are: 1930 – Walter Stevens, Wayne Ruggles, Gordon Root, Alex McComb, Pearl Hill, Janet McKay, Jessie Root, Phyllis Hill, Marie Hill, Charlie McKay, Dom Ruggles, Bob Ruggles, Dorothy Williams. The John Johnson family, seven girls and three boys, walked 1 1/2 miles to school.
Around 1917, Archie Ruggles moved his large family (seven children) from Section 35 to Yetwood, so his older children could be closer to school. Mr. Warden was their teacher. Later, he had three more boys.
In 1919 there was a big blizzard. It lasted for three days, with a terrific wind. Mrs. Howard Connor, who lived near the Yetwood School, had set a hen in a pen outside before the blizzard. Some time after the blizzard, she dug down through the snow bank to the spot where she had set the hen and found a nice flock of little chicks, or “Pioneer Snowbirds.”
Alex McCombe, with his brother and sister, attended Yetwood, where his first teacher was Mrs. Kate Steeves. During most of their school years, they walked to school in the heat of summer and the often extreme cold of winter. Sometimes in summer they would remove their shoes and walk barefoot, often stepping accidentally on sharp cactus plants, getting their feet full of needles. In winter while crossing the sloughs on the ice, they would often break through, sending their feet down into the cold water.
Students knew that when their teacher, Mr. Worden, entered with his stern military air, they trembled, and when he arrived swinging his lard-tin dinner pail and whistling, they relaxed.
Mary (McCombe) Orr was born in the Lomond area. She dreamed of writing books while attending Yetwood. She did write at least two books.
Yetwood School held services for a variety of denominations. From 1913 to about 1927 the Lutheran Church of the Missouri Synod held services at Yetwood School.
Fred Walker drove the van from Yetwood to Rosemead School, which was situated where the present camp kitchen at Travers Dam is now located. In those days school van driving was a rare occupation and Fred was rated as a pioneer in that field.
The building was demolished.
More information about Yetwood School may be found in “History of Lomond and District” and “From Slate to Cyber,” at the Vulcan and District Archives and from school directories (maps and driving directions) which are available at the Lomond Village Office, Lomond Grainland Hardware and the Vulcan & District Museum.