Trego School No. 4050-site 2

Tap Dancing Class - 1937 Front row - Joyce MacDonald, Helen Abernethy, Bunty Leslie, Shirley Breach. 2nd row - Tom Troy, Ken MacDonald, Glen Strong, Joe Troy, Ted Hurl, Philip Beauchamp. 3rd. row - Gerald Journey, Norma Pinkerton, Helen Troy, Marguirite Henry. Back row - Alice Abernethy, Stuart Henry, Jim Strong, At the back - Mrs. Lily Hurl - accompanist, Malcolm Taylor - teacher.

The second school to have this name was located in the town of Mossleigh. SW quarter of 30-20-24-W4. Directions in Mossleigh (along Highway 24) – From Highway 24, turn north on Range Road 250 for ¼ mile, turn southwest onto Centre Street for about 1 block (just past baseball diamond). Latitude 50.72137, Longitude -113.32697.

(More about this school is included in the article for Mossleigh S. D. 4050, the second name for this school.)

Information from Mrs. C. P. (Moss) Ballard:

Prior to 1935 a small one-room stucco school was built in the new town of Mossleigh when the C.P.R. railroad was completed between Arrowwood and Blackie in 1929. This school carried on under the name of Trego School because at that time the town site was and still is located in the Trego School District. During the period 1929-1935 considerable confusion arose when school matters were discussed because people thought the town school had the same name as the town. Thus in 1935 when the Foothills Unit came into being, it was decided that since the Country school named Mossleigh (on the hill) would be closed down, it would be better to drop the name of Trego and transfer the Mossleigh district name to the town school.

On August 28, 1930, Trego School District was declared to be a village district for the purposes of the School Assessment Act and any assessment and taxation for school purposes, thereunder.

The one-room stucco school was located in the school grounds near the present school. It was completed by the fall of 1930 and got its name from the Trego family. There was an enrollment of seven pupils with Rosma (O’Neil) Tweedle the first teacher. She boarded with Bill and Agnes Strong, as many teachers did over the years. Mossleigh school was a one-room, well-built structure with a full basement. The exterior was grey stucco. The grades ranged from one to ten, with 16 students in attendance.

The first secretary of the school was Mr. Carl Stafford 1930-1934 and Mr. Milt Powe followed. Milan Pinkerton was a member of the school board for Trego School.

The teachers were: Miss Rosma O’Neil 1930-32, Miss Pat Godkin (Powe) 1932-34, Mr. Cliff Anderson 1934-35, Miss Stahl 1935-36, Mr. Malcolm Taylor 1936-38, Miss Marguerite Dawson 1938-39

An important change came in 1939 with Centralization. School districts closed and students were vanned to Mossleigh, which was in the Foothills School District No. 38. Glenview and New Dunbow school buildings were joined to the Trego School to form the Mossleigh Elementary School. A two-room high school was built.

On February 17, 1941, the school district name was officially changed from Trego School District No. 4050 to Mossleigh School District No. 4050. (History of the school is continued in the Mossleigh S. D. 4050 section.)

More information about Trego II School may be found in “Furrows of Time-a history of Arrowwood and Shouldice, Mossleigh and Farrow” and at the Vulcan and District Archives.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.