Travers School No. 3996

Travers School

Established on December 7, 1920, Travers was never a consolidated school, though it did absorb the pupils from surrounding districts as those schools were closed.

At one time Travers town was the main town on the C.P.R. railway line going northwest from Medicine Hat. It is believed to have been named after one of the railway surveyors who were there in 1914. At one time, it had a bank, a barber shop, a butcher shop, a harness shop, two hardwares, two lumberyards, two blacksmiths, two livery barns, three restaurants or boarding houses, three garages or machine shops, three grocery stores, a men’s furnishing, a pool room, a hotel and a real estate agency.

Leo Cutler, with the assistance of the teaching staff at the Agricultural School, Claresholm, and teachers from Kasimir, Gold Coin, Englewood, Grand Spring and Travers, formed the first School Fair to be held in Travers. This became an annual event until 1934, and later included the consolidated schools of Enchant and Sundial. He was the secretary-treasurer and chief promoter for the ten years it was active.

During the dry depression years, the town of Travers and the surrounding district began to dwindle.

The Gold Coin School building was moved to Travers in 1928. The building was later destroyed by lightning. It was replaced by the Snake Valley School building which had been closed in 1937.

In 1937 the larger unit school districts were formed. Stan Clarke was elected trustee for the Travers district that year, and was on the board for five years.

Bill Townsend remembers that the Travers Elementary School was struck by lightning and burned down during the summer holidays of 1943.

In 1961, Travers School closed and become part of Lomond district, as it still is today. The school house was purchased by the St. Ann’s Catholic Church congregation. It does not appear to be in use in 2010.

More information about Travers School may be found in “History of Lomond and District,” at the Vulcan and District Archives and from school directories (maps and driving directions) which are available at the Lomond Village Office, Lomond Grainland Hardware and the Vulcan & District Museum.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.