Snake Valley school was established April 24, 1919. Directions from Lomond – South 2 miles on Highway 845, turn west on Township Road 160 for 5½ miles, sign is near power pole in field. Latitude 50.30975, Longitude -112.76524
The school district encompassed Sections 5, 6, 7 and 8 in Township 16 Range 20; Sections 29, 30, 31, and 32 in Township 15 Range 20; Sections 25, 26, 27, 34, 35, 36 in Township 15 Range 21; and Sections 1, 2, 3, 10, 11 and 12 in Township 16 Range 21 west of the Fourth Meridian. The Senior Trustee when the school was established was L. C. Jackson of Lomond.
Frank Nichol was active in community affairs. He was chairman of the Snake Valley school board.
On October 8, 1919, the Board of Trustees were authorized to borrow the sum of $2500.00 for the purpose of building and equipping the school house. The Treasurer’s address was A. C. Jensen of Lomond. The school was built by Jens Sokvitne.
George (Geordie) Nichol attended Snake Valley School, which was only one quarter mile from their place.
Leonard and Ken Sokvitne went to Snake Valley School. Transportation to school was hardly luxurious, as they either rode their horses or travelled by horse and sleigh.
Mary Kimmitt taught at Snake Valley and Travers schools.
The school was closed in 1937. The building was moved to Travers to replace the Gold Coin building which was moved to Travers in 1928. The Gold Coin building had been destroyed by lightning.
The district was dissolved on February 28, 1951. It became a part of Lomond District, when it closed.
The Vulcan and District Historical Society would be interested in hearing from anyone with more information, pictures, etc. about Snake Valley School at Box 104, Vulcan, AB, T0L 2B0 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.