Monthly Archives: October 2010

Sweet Valley School No. 2369

Sweet Valley, in 1909, had a post office and store, operated by George Shirley. It was located 4 miles north of Travers. When applying to the Dominion Government to authorize a post office, the name Sweet Valley was given by the Post Office Department. All the other suggestions that had been sent in had already […]

Swastika School No. 4267 Wayside School No. 4267

Margaret House wrote this article in “Furrows of Time, a history of Arrowwood and Shouldice, Mossleigh and Farrow:” In the early years, it was difficult for people to get their children to school unless they could move to nearby towns. There was a definite need for a school southeast of Arrowwood, as that area was […]

Sunset Valley School No. 3236

Marion (Beacome) Winters wrote in “Wheat Country – a history of Vulcan and District”: Times being more prosperous in 1915 than in earlier years, the board of trustees, consisting of A. H. Tharle, A. D. Mitchell, H. W. Ernst and S. Washburn as secretary-treasurer contracted the construction of the school for approximately $1500 on the […]

Sunny Plains School No. 2020

Sunny Plains School Sunny Plains School was one of the earlier schools in the Lomond area. It was established on August 8, 1909. The school was on the NE quarter of 13-17-21-W4. Directions from Lomond – North 5 miles on Highway 845, turn West on Township Road 172 for 5 miles, turn north on Range […]

Sunny Lake School No. 4123

Doris Orchard tells of the history of Sunny Lake School in “Wheat Country – a history of Vulcan and District”: Sunny Lake School was started around 1922. The first school room was a room in a house on the Corbitt farm, later owned by the Smith family. The first teacher was a Miss Jessie Graham, […]

Sunny Glen School No. 2041

From Vulcan, go east 10 miles on Highway 534, turn north on Range Road 230 for 3½ miles and you will come across an impressive marker site. Surrounding the regular school marker is a rectangle of gravel with a large rock at each corner. A plaque listing Sunny Glen Students and those persons interested in […]

Coal Mining in Champion- with Sev Pasolli

This video is a Digital Story produced by Bev Knutson Shaw.   It features photos and exerpts from Sev Pasolli’s book on the history of coal mining in the Champion area titled “Coal: Champion’s Black Gold” and is narrated by Sev Pasolli himself. Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit […]

South Richmond School No. 3619 Twin Coulee School No. 3619

The original name for the school district was South Richmond. The school district was formed on February 19, 1918, but it appears that no school was built at that time. By the time the school was built, the district had applied for, and been granted on February 23, 1925, a name change, to Twin Coulee […]

Snake Valley School No. 3812

Snake Valley school was established April 24, 1919. Directions from Lomond – South 2 miles on Highway 845, turn west on Township Road 160 for 5½ miles, sign is near power pole in field. Latitude 50.30975, Longitude -112.76524 The school district encompassed Sections 5, 6, 7 and 8 in Township 16 Range 20; Sections 29, […]

Snake Creek School No. 4245

Prior to 1926 there was an area consisting mainly of townships 23 and 24 which was not included in any school district. Some children travelled considerable distances to school, while some did not attend school at all. Tax payers in the area discussed a solution and consulted with authorities in Edmonton. It was agreed that […]