Pasture Land School No. 5019

This is the youngest school district in Vulcan County. It was established on July 31, 1953. It encompassed the land east of Corbie Hill School District, south of Rocky Buttes School District and north of Sunny Plains School District. Land included in the district was the West halves of sections 3 and 10, sections 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 in Township 18 Range 20 west of the Fourth Meridian; Sections 1, 12, 13 and 24, east halves of Sections 2, 11, 14 and 23 in Township 18 Range 21 west of the Fourth Meridian. The Minister of Education was A. O. Aalborg. It was included in the County of Vulcan on the same day it was established. Also on July 31, Superintendent Andrew Lewis Schrag was appointed Official Trustee of the Pasture Land School District No. 5019. All three government actions were deemed to have been in effect on, from and after July 1, 1953. This school district never had a school.

Pasture Land School District was set up to bring an area of unorganized land under school taxation, on the transfer of Special Areas lands to the County of Vulcan.

This was a rather interesting time.  Mr McQueen, the Secretary-Treasurer at the time, insisted that when the County was formed in 1951 and the administration of schools started, that meant taxing all the lands for school purposes, but that was not correct.  It was two years later, when Andrew Schrag was the Superintendent, that the problem was brought to the attention of the County, and Alberta Education established Pasture Land. The name was taken from the fact that the area was uncultivated range land.

There is no school marker for this area. The school district is not marked on the school directories (maps and driving directions) which are available at the Vulcan & District Museum.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.