Ocean Wave School No. 2708

Ocean Wave School 1914-1917, being moved to Lomond to become part of Lomond Consolidated School.

Ocean Wave School was only open from 1912 to 1916. It was established on April 10, 1912. It was located on the NE quarter of 3-16-20-W4. Directions from Lomond – South 2 miles on Highway 845, turn west on Township Road 160 for 1 mile. Latitude 50.31026, Longitude -112.66229

Nothing has been found about how this school attained this interesting name while being in the middle of the dry prairie. Perhaps someone was homesick for the sights or sounds of the sea.

The school board was given permission to borrow fifteen hundred dollars to purchase a school site, erect and furnish a schoolhouse on July 19, 1912. The treasurer was J. R. McKay of Sweet Valley. The school was built by the Newton brothers, Bill and Frank.

Ocean Wave School Bell now standing next to the Lomond Village Office.

The first teacher was a Miss Adams. The first pupils were Lizzie, Frank and Fred Jensen, and Charles, Mary and Fred Maronda. The first school board consisted of William Gallagher, C. W. Maronda and J. R. McKay.

Charles, Mary, Fred, Martin, Myrtle and George Maronda attended Ocean Wave School. Their dad, Carl W. Maronda, had donated the southeast corner of their farm for the school site. They were taken by mule-drawn van to school each day.

Pioneer settlers in this area were: J. R. McKay, C. W. Maronda, Joseph Smith, C. F. Koch, Andy Hartwick, J. C. Jensen.

This district was one of the four districts joined together to make the Lomond Consolidated School.The building was moved to Lomond and became part of Lomond Consolidated #20 in 1916, along with Rolling Prairie, Dufferin and Deep Water. The van driver was George Lowe.

The district was dissolved in 1961.

More information about Ocean Wave School may be found in “Lomond and District History”, at the Vulcan and District Archives and from school directories (maps and driving directions) which are available at the Lomond Village Office, Lomond Grainland Hardware and the Vulcan & District Museum.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.