Mossleigh School No. 4050

Tap Dancing Class - 1937 Front row - Joyce MacDonald, Helen Abernethy, Bunty Leslie, Shirley Breach. 2nd row - Tom Troy, Ken MacDonald, Glen Strong, Joe Troy, Ted Hurl, Philip Beauchamp. 3rd. row - Gerald Journey, Norma Pinkerton, Helen Troy, Marguirite Henry. Back row - Alice Abernethy, Stuart Henry, Jim Strong, At the back - Mrs. Lily Hurl - accompanist, Malcolm Taylor - teacher.

The school in the town of Mossleigh was originally named Trego II. The land location was SW 30-20-24-W4. Directions in Mossleigh (along Highway 24) – From Highway 24, turn north on Range Road 250 for ¼ mile, turn southwest onto Centre Street for about 1 block (just past baseball diamond). Latitude 50.72137, Longitude -113.32697. Trego School District was established on August 2, 1921. The original Trego school was located on the SE quarter of 5-21-24-W4, on the corner of Mr. Trego’s land. By 1925, that school no longer had any pupils, so it was closed.

Information from Mrs. C. P. (Moss) Ballard:

Prior to 1935 a small one-room stucco school was built in the new town of Mossleigh when the C.P.R. railroad was completed between Arrowwood and Blackie in 1929. This school carried on under the name of Trego School because at that time the town site was and still is located in the Trego School District. During the period 1929-1935 considerable confusion arose when school matters were discussed because people thought the town school had the same name as the town. Thus in 1935 when the Foothills Unit came into being, it was decided that since the Country school named Mossleigh (on the hill) would be closed down, it would be better to drop the name of Trego and transfer the Mossleigh district name to the town school.

On February 17, 1941, the school district name was officially changed from Trego School District No. 4050 to Mossleigh School District No. 4050.

On August 28, 1930, Trego School District was declared to be a village district for the purposes of the School Assessment Act and any assessment and taxation for school purposes, thereunder.

The one-room stucco school was located in the school grounds near the present school. It was completed by the fall of 1930 and got its name from the Trego family. The Tregos lived east of Mossleigh on the Arrowwood Creek, a prominent farm family in the area. The family came to the district from Calgary in 1920. There was an enrollment of seven pupils with Rosma (O’Neil) Tweedle the first teacher. She boarded with Bill and Agnes Strong, as many teachers did over the years. She remembers Mossleigh school as a one-room, well-built structure with a full basement, to which she once took all her pupils during a ferocious dust storm. The exterior was grey stucco. The grades ranged from one to ten, with 16 students in attendance.

The first secretary of the school was Mr. Carl Stafford 1930-1934 and Mr. Milt Powe followed.

Shortly after Miles and Lily Hurl arrived in Mossleigh in 1930, a one-room school was built. Their children, Ted and June got their education there.

In 1930, Marjorie (Strong) Christie moved to Mossleigh and took high school in the new Trego School.

The teachers were: Miss Rosma O’Neil 1930-32, Miss Pat Godkin (Powe) 1932-34, Mr. Cliff Anderson 1934-35, Miss Stahl 1935-36, Mr. Malcolm Taylor 1936-38, Miss Marguerite Dawson 1938-39

Muriel (Bunty) Bertschy attended Trego School at Mossleigh and had noon lunch with the Abernethys. She was one of the children who won the tap dancing prize, having been taught by Mr. Malcolm Taylor. During school days, they always looked forward to the Sports Days in Mossleigh and Arrowwood. They also had a Track and Field day at Blackie which included ball games. Each school in many districts around always had a Christmas Concert, with Santa Claus attending.

An important change came in 1939 with Centralization. School districts closed and students were vanned to Mossleigh, which was in the Foothills School District No. 38. Glenview and New Dunbow school buildings were joined to the Trego School to form the Mossleigh Elementary School. A two-room high school was built.

Alice Abernethy went to Western Canada High School in Calgary for one year and returned to Mossleigh to the new large consolidated school where she and her sister, Helen, completed high school.

Mossleigh School, 1953

In 1953, Mossleigh School became part of the County of Vulcan. $175,000 was borrowed and a new, modern eight room school and auditorium was built.

Mossleigh School was closed by the County of Vulcan in 1988. For a time, it was a private school. It now sits unused. The former two-room high school has become a private residence, recently receiving a bright new red roof. Quite fitting, as the original Mossleigh School, on the hill, was known for its bright red roof.

More information about Mossleigh School may be found in “Furrows of Time-a history of Arrowwood and Shouldice, Mossleigh and Farrow” and at Aspen Crossing, Mossleigh, the Arrowwood Museum, the Arrowwood Post Office and the Vulcan & District Museum.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.