Herronton School No. 4855

Herronton Junior and High School built in 1939.

Herronton School was established on June 23, 1939.  It was located on the NE quarter of 20-19-25-W4 in the hamlet of Herronton, which was the name given to the Post Office in 1910 situated in the residence of O. F. Malmberg. This was named after John Herron, pioneer oil man and former M.L.A. Directions from Vulcan – North 12 miles on Highway 23, turn west at Highway 23/24/542 junction (Corner Store) for 8 miles, turn North on Range Road 255 (Herronton Road) for 3 1/2 miles, turn East on Railway Avenue into Herronton for 3 blocks, turn SE onto Glenview Street (not a built road) just past the baseball field; from Mossleigh – West on Highway 24 for 3 1/2 miles, turn West onto Highway 547 for 1 1/2 miles, turn South on Range Road 255 for 6 1/2 miles, turn East on Railway Avenue into Herronton for 3 blocks, turn Southeast onto Glenview Street (not a built road) just past the baseball field.. Latitude 50.62445, Longitude -113.43723

In “Furrows of Time-a history of Arrowwood and Shouldice, Mossleigh and Farrow”, 1980 Leila Swartz recalls:

The Wilderman school was moved into the hamlet of Herronton and another room was built on, making a two room school. The school was not completely finished by September 1, so classes were held in the Community Hall and the Co-op lumberyard house until the new one was completed. The first school board consisted of Mr. O. Malmberg, Eric Thurlow, and J. Walker. Grades one to twelve were taught. Mr. Ivor Boone was the first principal in the new school, and taught Grades 7 to 12. Miss Edna Gillanders (now Mrs. A. MacDonald of Okotoks) taught grades 1 to 6.

Some of the surrounding district schools were closed and the pupils were vanned to Herronton. (The district was made up with parts of Arrowwood, Elmdale and Hillcrest School students.) Two vans were in operation. Jack Green and Emory Anderson were the owners and drivers. The vans did not go to everyone’s door in those days, so if you lived on the route you were lucky, but some students had to go as far as 4 miles to meet the van.

In 1952 all the grades from 9 up were vanned to Blackie. Grades 1 to 4 and 5 to 8 were taught in the two rooms at Herronton. The following December, 1953, the school district was transferred from Foothills to the County of Vulcan.

June 1962 saw an end to our Herronton School when it was closed down, and the children who were one time playmates and friends were separated by some going to Brant, Blackie, Mossleigh and the High School students to County Central in Vulcan.

In 1939 when our children were vanned to the new 2 room school at Herronton, little did one realize that bigger things were yet to come. Oh how we fought to keep the school open in ’62, and our children closer to home, but higher officials said a definite ‘NO, it’s progress’, and thus the beginning of Centralization. I wonder what the future will bring.

In the same book, Nancy (Holoboft) Kingsmith relates this history of Herronton High School:

The first Herronton High School, which was a branch of the West Arrowwood School No. 1733, was established in 1935.

There were several students (over 25) in the district of high school age, but most of the parents could not afford to send them to the city to further their education, so it was decided to transform the old two story lumberyard house into a school building. The partitions were removed from the downstairs area, a blackboard was nailed to one wall and an old potbellied stove was set up near the back desks. This stove was brought in from some country school that had been closed, and thus higher education had begun, for some 20 or so students. The curriculum consisted of all subjects in Grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 under the capable leadership of Verne Kennedy, who had previously taught at the (West) Arrowwood School No. 1733.

In “Fencelines and Furrows-a history of Old Brant, Frankburg, Herronton, Farrow, Mazeppa and Blackie”, 1969, these facts are given:

In 1939, when the smaller schools were closed and the children were vanned to Herronton, the school division requested to rent the Herronton Hall for classrooms until the new school was completed. The hall was rented to the Foothills School Division for $30.00 a month and the division supplied the fuel.

In 1939, a two room school was built from a one room school which had been moved into Herronton. The old (West) Arrowwood School No. 1733 was closed and all the children came by bus into Herronton. This school served the Herronton district until 1962, when the school was closed and the pupils of the district were taken by bus to Brant, Blackie, Mossleigh and Vulcan.

During the years Herronton had a high school, George Meyer permitted the boys to make a hockey rink near the tower and let them have free use of the water for flooding purposes.

Quoted in the Vulcan Advocate, May 9, 1962, with regard to the closure of Herronton School: “In the opinion of the School Committee, these changes will provide better service and greater opportunity for the educational advancement of the students affected. The Vulcan High School will be able to accommodate the approximately 85 additional students without any major changes.”

More information about Herronton School may be found in “Furrows of Time-a history of Arrowwood and Shouldice, Mossleigh and Farrow” and “Fencelines and Furrows-a history of Old Brant, Frankburg, Herronton, Farrow, Mazeppa and Blackie,” at the Vulcan and District Archives and from school directories (maps and driving directions) which are available at Aspen Crossing, Mossleigh, the Arrowwood Museum, the Arrowwood Post Office and the Vulcan & District Museum.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.