Monthly Archives: September 2010

100 Years of Postal Service in Vulcan

This video features footage from the Vulcan post office as it celebrated its 100 year anniversary on Sept 15/2010. Interview with Marj Weber of the Vulcan and District Historical Society. Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post

Pleasant Grove School No. 1863

Pleasant Grove School District was established on July 24, 1908. It was located on the NW quarter of 28-18-25-W4. Directions from Vulcan – North 12 miles on Highway 23, turn west at Highway 23/24/542 junction (Corner Store) for 6 miles, turn South on Range Road 254 for 1½ miles. Latitude 50.55020, Longitude -113.39191. The school […]

Plateau School No. 2692

This school received its name because it was situated on a small plateau on the George Armstrong farm. It was established on March 26, 1912. It was located on the NW quarter of 23-16-21-W4. Directions from Lomond – East 7 miles on Hwy 531, turn North on Rge Rd 212 for 3/4 mile. Latitude 50.36690, […]

Plain Valley School No. 2433

Plain Valley School was located SE 25-21-25-W4. At the time of opening, the land was owned by Mr. Frank Thurber, grandfather of Jack and Frank Thurber. Plans for the school were made on March 15, 1911. The school district was established on May 10, 1911. The first trustees were Walter Baker, F. E. Rhoades and […]

Pioneer School No. 1828

Pioneer School District came into existence on June 12, 1908 and on June 27, 1908, received the authorization of an $1800 debenture to purchase land and build and equip the school. The loan was to be repaid in ten equal, annual payments, interest 8%. First trustees of the School Board entrusted with the official business […]

Peace School No. 1134

The following is taken from The North West Territories Gazette. Regina, Tuesday, November 15,1904. “Regina, Friday, November 4,1904. Notice is hereby given, in accordance with the provisions of The School Ordinance in that behalf, that by order of the Commissioner of Education, the following lands, namely, SECTIONS. 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,21,22,23,24,25, 26,27,28,33,34,35,and 36 in Township 17 Range 26 […]

Pasture Land School No. 5019

This is the youngest school district in Vulcan County. It was established on July 31, 1953. It encompassed the land east of Corbie Hill School District, south of Rocky Buttes School District and north of Sunny Plains School District. Land included in the district was the West halves of sections 3 and 10, sections 4, […]

Ocean Wave School No. 2708

Ocean Wave School was only open from 1912 to 1916. It was established on April 10, 1912. It was located on the NE quarter of 3-16-20-W4. Directions from Lomond – South 2 miles on Highway 845, turn west on Township Road 160 for 1 mile. Latitude 50.31026, Longitude -112.66229 Nothing has been found about how […]

New Reid Hill School No. 1847

The school was at SE 4-17-22-W4. Directions from Vulcan – East 12¾ miles on Highway 534. Latitude 50.39763, Longitude -112.96571 (Sometimes referred to as Reid Hill Consolidated) In 1939, in Alberta, the Foothills School Division was formed, in which area the Reid Hill School was located. (This was before the advent of the formation of […]

Mossleigh School No. 4050

The school in the town of Mossleigh was originally named Trego II. The land location was SW 30-20-24-W4. Directions in Mossleigh (along Highway 24) – From Highway 24, turn north on Range Road 250 for ¼ mile, turn southwest onto Centre Street for about 1 block (just past baseball diamond). Latitude 50.72137, Longitude -113.32697. Trego […]