Monthly Archives: August 2010

Ferrodale School No. 1902

Ferrodale School was established on November 23, 1908. Its name was changed to Vulcan School District No. 1902 in 1917. Ferrodale was named after a local homesteader, Thomas Farrand.  He was active in local happenings. His daughter, Erma, was one of the first students to atttend Ferrodale School. The school was located on the SW […]

Carmangay Centennial Parade

This video footage was taken during the Carmangay 100th Anniversary weekend on July 31, 2010. Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post

“For Home and Country”: Champion Women’s Institute

When the Champion’s Women’s Institute (WI) disbanded in the 1980s, it was the longest running organization in Champion’s history. The first meeting of the WI had been held in Miller’s Hall on 14 July, 1915, with Mrs. Seal as the first president. In 1897, Adelaide Hoodless founded the first Women’s Institute in Canada, in Stoney […]

Fawn Hill School No. 3780

The site of the school was on top of a hill, surrounded by a view as picturesque as its name. Fawn Hill School was established on February 21, 1919. It was located on the SE quarter of 11-20-20-W4. Directions  Milo – East 1 mile on Highway 542, turn north on Highway 842 for 8 miles, turn […]

Ensign School No. 2563

Ensign School was established on September 25, 1911. It was located on the SW quarter of 31-17-25-W4. Directions from Vulcan – West 7 miles on Highway 534, turn North on Range Road 260 for 5 miles, turn East on Township Road 175 for 1/2 mile, turn NW on Railway Ave into Ensign, turn NE onto […]

Emerson School No. 1283 – Emerson School No. 1201

Emerson School was established on May 6, 1905. It was located on the SE quarter of 18-18-26-W4. Directions to the school marker are: from Vulcan – West 10 miles on Highway 534, turn North on Highway 804 for 8 miles, turn West on Township Road 182 into Brant for 2 miles Latitude 50.51389 Longitude -113.55274 […]

Elmdale School No. 1759

The history of the Elmdale School goes back to the year 1908, when after a series of meetings the board was notified by the Deputy Minister of Education that the Elmdale School District had been established on January 25, 1908. It was located on the SE quarter of 3-20-25-W4. Directions are: From Mossleigh – West […]

Eastway School No. 2904

Eastway School was named after the Eastway Post Office. In 1912, Hazel and Joe Marshall decided to have a post office and store in their home. Of the several names Mrs. Marshall had submitted, Eastway was chosen. It was thought to be very appropriate, as so many people were traveling east in search of land […]

East Majorville School No. 3540

On September 22, 1917, East Majorville School was established. It was located on the SE quarter of 14-19-20-W4. Directions from Milo are – East 1 mile on Highway 542, turn north on Highway 842 for 2 miles, turn east on Township Road 192 for 8 miles, turn north on Range Road 201 for almost 1/4 […]

East Arrowwood School No. 3201

East Arrowwood School was often referred to as the little school two miles east and one and a half miles south of where the town of Arrowwood is now. It was established on November 25, 1914 and built in 1915. Directions from Arrowwood are – East on Township Rd 205A (follows north side of railway) […]