Gold Coin School No. 2336

Gold Coin School

Gold Coin School was established on December 9, 1910. It was located on the SE quarter of 5-15-19-W4. Directions from Lomond – South 8 miles on Highway 845, turn east on Township Road 150 for 3 1/2 miles. Latitude 50.22281, Longitude -112.57077

Gold Coin School district was organized in 1910. It was 1/4 mile east of the Albert Jones farm. The Jones children went home for dinner. Their mom, Fannie, boarded the teachers until a teacherage was built. The school board borrowed $1800 to purchase the school site, build and equip the school house and put up outbuildings. The first teacher was Mr. Ed Lowe, who had a homestead west of Travers.

Clemwell (Moses) Mackenzie was surprised that her mother, Rose, had gotten some publishers to send several boxes of books, from which they chose what they could afford, to start a small library for the Gold Coin School, as there were only a few badly battered text books. She never knew where the money had come from to buy them, but it was exciting to suddenly have shiny new books to read.

Joseph Jr. and Mary Dumka attended the Gold Coin School about one mile east of Travers. Later it was in the village of Travers in the 20’s.

Leo Cutler, with the assistance of the teaching staff at the Agricultural School, Claresholm, and teachers from Kasimir, Gold Coin, Englewood, Grand Spring and Travers, formed the first School Fair to be held in Travers. This became an annual event until 1934, and later included the consolidated schools of Enchant and Sundial. He was the secretary-treasurer and chief promoter for the ten years it was active.

Gold Coin School District was disorganized on August 31, 1926. When the school closed, some of the pupils went to Kasimir School. The school building was moved to Travers in 1928. The building was later destroyed by lightning. It was replaced by the Snake Valley School building.

Some Gold Coin School children. Back Row; L to R: Bill Jones, Herbert Hough; Centre Row: Vera Jones, Dorothy Larson, Joe Dumka, Mary and Doreen Way, and Edith Jones; Front Row; Leslie London, Leonard Jones and Edwin Lee.

More information about Gold Coin School may be found in “History of Lomond and District” and  ”Lomond and District History,” at the Vulcan and District Archives and from school directories (maps and driving directions) which are available at the Lomond Village Office, Lomond Grainland Hardware and the Vulcan & District Museum.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.