Forestville School No. 2133

Forestville School: Top: Mr. Chisholm, Joe Bonenfant, Jessie Asselstine, Ada Mossom, Evalena Asselstine, Stewart Ward, Hartley Taylor. Front row: Viola McCoubery, Earl Taylor, Alice Hall, Beatrice Taylor, Earl DeForest, Margaret and Wesley Chisholm, Paul DeForest, Florence and Myrtle Palmer, Viola Hall, Ken Chisholm, Alice Palmer, and Johnny DeForest.

Forestville School was built on John DeForest’s land in 1910, on the SW 18-17-17-25. It was established on February 24, 1910. Directions from Lomond – North 5 miles on Highway 845, turn east on Highway 539 for 13 miles. Latitude 50.42667, Longitude -112.34110

On August 22, 1910, the school board was authorized to borrow the sum of Fifteen Hundred dollars for the purpose of building and furnishing a school house, erecting outbuildings and fencing the site. The school was in the DeForest family’s yard and the teachers boarded with them. It served other purposes such as church and community meetings, dances, etc. Mrs. DeForest taught music lessons, and also taught school at several intervals and played for dances, church, etc.

The first teacher was a Mr. Hoidge, who had proved up a homestead west of the Kinnondale School. Some other teachers were Art Muma, Jim Norman and Mr. Chisholm.

Some of the students were Earl, Johnny and Paul DeForest, Stewart Ward, Joe Bonenfant, Helen, Josephine and Gertrude Ketchmark (Helen went to grade eight at Forestburg and Josephine and Gertrude finished their schooling at the school southeast of Bow City.) Viola Koepke and her two sisters, Evaline and Catherine drove horse and buggy to the Forestville School. There were a number of winter snow storms when they relied only on their horse to find the way home. Viola (McCoubery) Corkish attended Forrestville School from the time it was built. She was eight at the time, and she went to grade nine. George and Mary Graham’s three children, while living on the farm, walked four miles to school. Cliff, Kurt, Bill and Clarence Landon attended Forestville School. Cliff taught Earl Taylor to play the bones while they were attending school.

The school marker shows that the school, sometimes spelled with two r’s, closed in 1915.

More information about Forestville School may be found in “History of Lomond and District” and  “Settlers along the Bow – a history of Rainier/Bow City,” at the Vulcan and District Archives and from school directories (maps and driving directions) which are available at the Lomond Village Office, Lomond Grainland Hardware and the Vulcan & District Museum.

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.