Monthly Archives: August 2010

A city in name only

While the civic fathers remained confident that the village of Bow City would rise like a Phoenix from the scorched prairies, by 1914 most had tired of the empty promises of a railroad and prosperity. With the arrival of the Suffield subdivision branch line to the prairie south and west of the village, new communities […]

Sights and Sounds from the Salute to Flight Instructors at RCAF Vulcan

This footage was taken at the Salute to the Flight Instructors weekend Aug 20, 2010 put on by the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alberta.  This portion of the event took place at RCAF Vulcan. For more information and coverage of this event, click here for the Vulcan Advocate Online article. Also visit […]

Grand Springs School No. 3025

Grand Springs School was established on August 25, 1913. It was located on the NE quarter of 11-15-20-W4. Directions from Lomond – South 6 miles on Hwy 845, turn west on Twp Rd 152 1/4 mile. Latitude 50.25180, Longitude -112.64516 At the time the school was established, Peter Nord of Yetwood was the Senior Trustee. […]

Green Prairie School No. 3577

Green Prairie School was built by Jens Sokvitne. It was established on December 10, 1917.  It was located on the SE quarter of 27-17-19-W4. Directions from Lomond – North 5 miles on Highway 845, turn east on Highway 539 for 5 miles, turn North onto Range Rd 192 for 2 miles (no road sign because […]

Gold Coin School No. 2336

Gold Coin School was established on December 9, 1910. It was located on the SE quarter of 5-15-19-W4. Directions from Lomond – South 8 miles on Highway 845, turn east on Township Road 150 for 3 1/2 miles. Latitude 50.22281, Longitude -112.57077 Gold Coin School district was organized in 1910. It was 1/4 mile east […]

Giffen School No. 3720

Giffen School was located on the NE quarter of 12-20-21-W4. Directions from Milo – East 1 mile on Highway 542, turn north on Highway 842 for 8 miles, turn east on Twp Road 202 (Crowfoot Ferry/Haul Road) for 3 miles. Latitude 50.68866, Longitude -112.77584. It was established on August 24, 1918. It was named after […]

Garrard School No. 3813

Garrard School was built by Jens Sokvitne on the homestead of Art Garrard on SE 6-16-21-W4. The school was named after him and his mother. They were often seen traveling together in a top-buggy. It was established on April 24, 1919. The school was located between three centers so the directions from Champion – East […]

Forestville School No. 2133

Forestville School was built on John DeForest’s land in 1910, on the SW 18-17-17-25. It was established on February 24, 1910. Directions from Lomond – North 5 miles on Highway 845, turn east on Highway 539 for 13 miles. Latitude 50.42667, Longitude -112.34110 On August 22, 1910, the school board was authorized to borrow the […]

First Chance No. 2043

Often referred to as Badger Lake School, First Chance School was established on September 24, 1909. The school was built in 1910 on the SE quarter of 19-16-18-W4. Directions from Lomond go East 8 miles on Township Road 162, turn north on Range Road 185 for almost 1½ miles. Latitude 50.36020, Longitude -112.45599 The first […]

Fireguard School No. 3679

To reach the site of Fireguard School from Champion, go West 7 miles on Highway 529, turn South on Range Road 251 for 2 miles, turn west on Township Road 150 (Fireguard Road) for 1/2 mile. Latitude 50.22271, Longitude -113.33263 This school was established on May 9, 1918. It was located on the NE quarter […]