Monthly Archives: June 2010

“The Richest Grain Lands in the West”

Grain Golden Champion, 1913 By the early 20th century, the settlement of the Prairie West was well underway, and the area around Champion was no exception. In 1911, the village relocated closer to the tracks of the newly-completed Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR), connecting the people and resources of Champion to the rest of the country. […]

Black Spring Ridge No. 1404

Black Spring Ridge School was located at NE 9-13-22-W4. It was three miles south of Carmangay and seven miles east. The site for the school was donated by Jacob Bakkila from a corner of his homestead. It was about an acre and a half of land. The school was built with volunteer labor. The geographical […]

Black Spring Valley No. 1455

Black Spring Valley School was located at NE 36-13-22-W4. It was fourteen miles east of Carmangay on Stonehouse Road. An article by Rena Burns tells about the school. It was built by Nikolia Martin Paulson in 1907, on land purchased from Leon Burns. The building material was hauled from Lethbridge, Alberta. Serving on the first […]

Bow City – May 1914

A map of the community of Bow City as it existed in May 1914. Click on image to view larger map. ———– Above is a map of Bow City in May 1914 that I have pieced together from documents included within the archives of Alberta’s Department of Municipal Affairs. Some points of clarification about the map: […]

Amethyst School No. 3459

Amethyst School was the most short-lived school in the area. It was established on February 24, 1917 and closed in 1918. This school was built on Archie Smith’s preemption on the NE quarter of 21-18-18-W4. Latitude 50.54252, Longitude -112.41101 A debenture was taken on June 1, 1918 for $1500. The first and only teacher was Miss […]

Alston School No. 1538

Alston School was located on SW 29-15-25-W4. This is 9 miles west of Champion, 2 miles north and west for 1 1/2 miles. It was named after a school by that name in England where J. Woods, a ratepayer, had attended. The building was erected in 1906 by Newton Dorman, a local man, as the […]

Adler School No. 3655

Adler School was located on the NE quarter of 5-18-18-W4. It was established on April 10, 1918. Directions today are: From Lomond, go 5 miles north on Highway 845, east on Highway 539 for 8 miles, and continue east on a prairie trail for another 1 3/4 miles. (The prairie trail has very deep ruts. […]

Readin’ and writin’ and ‘rithmetic

Beginning School Districts in the County of Vulcan When early homesteaders began arriving in the area, they found that often there was not a school for their children. Families who wanted a school would gather to form a committee. There had to be at least three taxpayers. They would petition the Ministry of Education, asking […]

Passing Time: Marking Vulcan County

Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about it Subscribe to the comments on this post

Bow City seeks a savior

As residents of the Bow City district were agitating for the construction of any kind of bridge across the Bow in early 1914, the boosters of the village continued their promotional efforts, in-spite of the community’s obvious deficiencies. Bookmark on Delicious Digg this post Recommend on Facebook share via Reddit Share with Stumblers Tweet about […]